The Vehicle Repair Shop is a one-stop shop for all auto repairs. Mechanics must be very knowledgeable about the workings of different makes and models of cars and have a deep understanding of how they work. Garages are the place to go if you have any questions about the performance of your car; if you need advice on motoring issues; if you know that something is wrong with your car and you need it fixed or if your vehicle is due to service or MOT.
With the huge number of cars we see on the roads, it’s no surprise that most of the garages are busy places. Repair or replacement of flat tires, replacement of chipped windscreens, replacement of key engine parts, annual services and MOTs are all part of the daily services that garages offer to customers. MOTs are filling up a lot of the schedule in a car repair garage. Every driver will have to get his car in for the MOT sooner or later, so performing these checks is inevitable for any workshop.
Workshops also sell a lot of car parts and accessories. They ‘re going to be able to sell you new tyres, if you need them, top up your windscreen fluid or engine oil, replace vital engine parts. Depending on the garage, a variety of accessories and gadgets may also be on sale to enhance your vehicle. The exact range of goods on offer will vary from workshop to workshop, but all garages will sell some kind of automotive products as a great way to generate extra revenue for garage owners.
The list of additional services that the garage can offer to members of the public is long and extensive. Not every mechanic will be qualified to perform every task, and not every garage is large enough to employ a specialist in every field, so the exact services offered by one workshop will be different from those offered by another on the road. These additional services may include painting a bodywork, removing teeth and scratches from the exterior, replacing defective electrical systems, welding, valving a car or removing removable parts from cars that are about to be scrapped.
- The auto parts stores or motor-factors that also maintain service operations. This is not common in the United Kingdom but more common in the US.
- Automobile repair workshops that are independently owned and operated businesses. These may also include regional or national chains and franchises including OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) repair sites such as in car dealerships. In the United States, these sites are commonly certified by their respective manufacturer to perform warranty and recall repairs by that manufacturer or distributor such as oil changes and other preventative maintenance items. Independent automobile repair shops in the US may also achieve certification through manufacturer sponsored programs.
- Specialty automobile repair shops are shops specializing in certain parts such as brakes, mufflers and exhaust systems, transmissions, body parts, automobile electrification, automotive air conditioner repairs, automotive glass repairs and installation, and wheel alignment or those who only work on certain brands of vehicle or vehicles from certain continents of the world. There are also automotive repair shops that specialize in vehicle modifications and customization. Oftentimes, various specialized auto repair shops will have varied infrastructure and facilities (for specific jobs or vehicles), as well as technicians and mechanics with different qualifications.
- Online automobile repair shops (mobile mechanics) providing doorstep repair services and home delivery of new and used auto parts of different late model and classic cars whose parts are not widely available in the market.
- In countries such as the UK, the mobile car body repair sectors has experienced high growth by way of mobile SMART Repair companies providing mobile car body repair services, such as Bumper Repairs, auto body repair, paintless dent repair and paintwork defect repairs to private and commercial consumers, typically within the industry framework of refinishing vehicle damage on a localised basis, where the area of damage being repaired is not in excess of an A4 sheet of paper.
Auto body repair
Some repair shops offer both mechanical and body repairs. Automotive repair shops specializing in bodywork repairs are known as body shops. They offer paint repairs to scratches, scuffs and teeth, as well as repairs to car bodies damaged by collisions. Many body shops are now offering paintless dental repairs.
Auto glass repair
Other repair shops offer the repair of auto glass. Automotive repair shops specializing in auto glass repair are known as auto glass repair shops. They offer auto glass repairs to chips, cracks and broken glass. The types of glass to be repaired include windshields, car windows, quarter glass and rear windows. This type of damage is often caused by hail, stones, wild animals, fallen trees, car theft and vandalism.
By Jon ‘ShakataGaNai’ Davis, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3177569
Are You Looking for an Auto Repair Shop you Can Trust?
If you’re considering making a change to an auto repair mechanic trusted by thousands of happy customers, look no further than autoTECH Blackhawk. Why? We differ from other independent automotive repair stops because we are a relationship shop. This means that the more of your car repair needs we support you with, the better able we are to customize our recommendations based on your driving habits and needs. Whether you want to keep the daily driver in ‘good enough’ condition, style your new car so that it’s customized just for you, maintain your favorite car in ‘like new’ condition, or even train your whole family to be more knowledgeable about cars – we partner with you to ensure that your cars meet your needs. We also offer an industry-leading 3-Year/36,000 mile warranty, so we only use Original Equipment and manufacturer recommended products. Contact us now to book your no-contact, friendly appointment!